Gas Safety Tips
In Case of a Gas Leak
Natural gas smells like rotten eggs, because of the chemical mercaptan that gas companies add to it so we know when it’s leaking. If you smell gas and no adult is home:
- Leave the house and take everyone with you.
- Do not use a light switch, garage door opener, match, flashlight, phone, or even a cell phone—sparks could ignite the gas.
- Call the gas company from a trusted neighbor’s or from a phone far away from the area.
Leaks from natural gas pipelines, although rare, can be a fire hazard. Learn how to recognize them and what to do in case one occurs in your community. Here are the warning signs:
- A smell of rotten eggs
- A hissing or roaring sound
- Dirt spraying or blowing into the air
- Continual bubbling in water
- Grass/plants dead or dying for no apparent reason
What to Do:
- Do not use fire or electricity. Even the smallest spark from a phone, flashlight, or match could ignite the gas.
- Go far away from the area and do not return until safety officials say it is safe.
- Call 911. Intermountain Gas Company customers should also call the Statewide Emergency number at: 1-877-777-7442.